Friday, December 9, 2011

TV Review: Parks and Recreation 4.10-- Citizen Knope



I love this episode because it's such a great ensemble episode, in the vein of many of the great moments from season 2.  This season has given us a lot of individual character development, which is enjoyable in its own way, but it was nice to see the Parks Department banding together for Leslie again, and just in time for Christmas too.

I think maybe Ben should've taken the job with the accounting firm-- think how amazing it would be for his ego being surrounded by co-workers who think he's hilarious rather than ones who are constantly pointing out his nerdiest tendencies.  On that note, though, this episode has me a little concerned for Ben and his role in the show going forward.  I am really hoping they don't simply relegate him to "Leslie's boy toy" status, especially after all they've done with his character this season.

The PCP storyline is just fantastic, and so typically Leslie (also, I really want a "PCP Makes It Fun" t-shirt).  I only hope that this group comes back to haunt her in some way once she's actually working in the Department again.  But even if it doesn't, I thoroughly enjoyed her tasking this group with harassing Chris, who can always stand to be taken down a peg.

But the best and most endearing part of this episode is the group's brainstorming and executing Leslie's Christmas gift.  Not only do I love all of them putting aside their usual tomfoolery to actually accomplish something, there are so many great, hilarious details in these scenes that are the trademark of this show, and a huge part of why it's so fabulous.  I loved Leslie's gifts to everyone (especially the painting she gave April-- did she do that herself?), and I loved their idea for a gingerbread replica of the office.  I think the funniest part to me, though, was the word cloud Tom compiled from Leslie's email.  There were many of the things you'd expect, "Pawnee" occupying the largest space and so on, but there were also some hilarious other additions that make you just want to read all of Leslie's correspondence (among these: "Hogwarts", "Biden", "Taylor Swift", "jeggings", all of which were predominant enough to be visible during the brief camera pan).  I also find it hilarious and adorable that Ann continues to outrank all the other people in Leslie's life, even Ben.

And last but not least, that final scene, where the gang finally presents their gift to Leslie.  I'm not ashamed to say I got a little choked up (did I mention that in addition to the gingerbread Parks Department, they've also decided to become her new campaign team?), and I can't wait to see the second half of the season.  There is absolutely no way this is going to be a smooth ride with this group in charge, and the bumps along the way are sure to be hilarious.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished watching this on DISHonline.com and I love that you seen the silver lining in Ben taking the job at the accounting firm. I seen it more as a move that would feed into his meekness and possibly undo any of the positive help that Tom and Donna have given him. I do have a feeling that he will play a huge part in Leslie’s campaign. I work for DISH, so I have watched many TV series and I’ve watched how they weave characters in and out as time passes. I think Ben will be around for as long as he and Leslie are together, but I am worried that Chris may not be around for too long. I think Rob Lowe is an incredible actor and I love his role on the show, I just hope that the writers keep him as part of the cast. Fingers crossed, we will see in January! Thanks for the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " (also, I really want a "PCP Makes It Fun" t-shirt)"

    your wish is my command...
    http://www.pcpmakesitfun.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got ya covered buddy, pick up your PCP Makes It fun Shirt on the site today @ www.auroraapparel.com!

    and be sure to ‘like’ us on facebook

    ReplyDelete